Thursday, August 21, 2014

Stick to the Plan

You may have noticed that I'm here as a Health Coach.  What's that?  Sort of like a Life Coach, but more nutrition based.  I'm big on the notion of cultivating wellness. Given the choice I'd much rather sow health than treat illness.

So what's up with the sugar-laden 4-layer cake in my inaugural post?

It's called balance, folks. B A L A N C E.

My birthday didn't just sneak up out of nowhere.  I knew it was coming.  So I passed up a few treats in anticipation of the big event and I had this baby waiting in the queue Tuesday morning to help cleanse all the sugar (in case you thought alcohol was the only thing that put your liver in distress...).



When you start putting a little bit of planning effort into what you eat it can pay dividends.  D I V I D E N D S.  Sure, there comes a time when a little reckless abandon and serendipity are just what the doctor ordered, but for your day-to-day eating try to have a plan and stick to it.

I grew up with an Eagle Scout so the Boy Scout motto of Always Prepared is somewhat second nature to me.  But do I remember when this notion started?  Not all all.  Which leads me to believe, like any "habbett" it takes about three months to develop.  If you've never spent a day in your life planning meals it's not too late.  Three months is just a blip on the radar for those of us planning to be centenarians!

Still with me?  Great!  Here's your takeaway nugget of advice. 

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that each of you will be eating out at least once this week.  Do you know where you're going?  Sure, flying by the seat of your pants and being spontaneous is fun, but if you don't want to sideline your health I have ONE tip for you.  Just one.  Easy, right?

Practical Health Coaching Tip#1:

Decide which restaurant you'll be dining at and look at their menu online BEFORE you go. Decide what you want and STICK TO THE PLAN.  

When there's a 45 minute wait and you want to chew off your arm by the time you're seated, that's what I call a recipe for disaster.  Throw in a less health conscious companion and you're finished.  Unless you have a plan.  Remember that voice of reason and honor it.  Sure, the cheese fries look awesome and a margarita sounds divine.  But remember 2 hours ago when you decided you would have the grilled salmon with veggies and quinoa?  Make a promise to yourself and stick to it.  If you get a nutrient-dense meal and you want a celebratory glass of wine for dessert, go for it!  (Don't worry, we'll cover nutrient-dense foods soon enough.)

Anyone out there like visualization techniques?  OK, here's your final takeaway.  I love a good mantra.  I love movies too.  Yesterday I stumbled upon this cool tool.  Turns out there are nearly 600 films and tv shows where derivatives of the line "Stick to the plan!" are used.  Our family geeks out over the Fast and Furious series so that's an easy one for me.  Now I'm dining with Paul Walker and Vin Diesel... who said healthy eating couldn't be Yum?!  

I'd love to hear what Hollywood imagery you'll be conjuring up to help you coast through your next restaurant meal - leave me a comment below!

9 comments:

  1. Meal planning really does make life (and grocery shopping!) so much easier. It also saves money to know exactly what you need, and reduces food waste. Great advice about restaurants, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really great point about reducing food waste! My grandfather used to make Saturday Soup, aka pot of water, all the leftovers and a boullion cube. But if you'd rather not take your chances with the "kitchen sink smoothie" or "garbage burger" planning is crucial!

      Delete
  2. Good advice, Liz! You turned me on to parsnips during a holiday dinner. Now I am even eating asparagus! I'm a very, very picky eater as you can guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Dee! We Abbett gals have a knack for reinventing vegetable dishes so you should be in for a treat come December. xoxo Rachel

      Delete
  3. I need a great green smoothie recipe! Any ideas? Aside from the Naked Green Machine one, I can't find any that I like, or that I can make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I can help you out. Most folks like a standout fruit to help complement all the green goodness. Pick you poison... lemon and ginger? Mango? Pineapple?

      Delete
    2. Pineapple! I'll give it a shot!

      Delete
    3. Here's one from the book Clean by Alexandro Junger: 1/2 c pineapple chunks, 2 leaves kale, 2t. soaked chia seeds, 1 c. water, 1-2 t. agave and 1/2 c. ice. *Note there is some controversy surrounding agave. I usually substitute with maple syrup or honey instead. Let me know what you think!

      Delete